The CPD/CE credits awarded can be used towards your declaration to any governing regulatory body in your state or country, provided the content is relevant to your discipline.
The day will be divided into four sections. Part I will include definitions and descriptions of the behaviour. It will draw out the parallels to psychoanalytic psychotherapy. This section will explore aetiology and the neuroscience of compulsive sexual behaviour. The history of the notion of sex addiction is covered. The etymology of addiction and associated words will be explored.
The second two parts of the day will cover treatment interventions. In the last part of the day, time will be given to the connection between compulsive sexual behaviour and paraphilias. Our outcome studies will be explained and we will take a close look at group work as the most important delivery method to effective treatment. Finally, we will look at the criticisms of the sex addiction model.
The programme will include experiential exercises. The main thrust is to give psychotherapists actionable interventions as well as an overall treatment plan.
- An understanding of the neuroscience that lies behind compulsive sexual behaviour.
- An awareness of the how this behaviour is presented in individual therapy.
- Full grasp of the treatment interventions that can be used in individual work or in group work.
- Recognising the archetypal parts which the client brings into the space and exploring those with the client to bring awareness to metaphor
- Knowledge of how and when the sexual template is setup in the brain.
- Awareness of the principal reservations and critiques of the concept of sexual addiction.
Dr Thaddeus Birchard
I have worked in the field for over twenty years. The treatment programme was created for compulsive sexual behaviour as the main content of the doctoral research. It is a programme of behavioural change. I have an MSc in Psychosexual Therapy and a doctorate in Psychotherapy. I founded the British based Association for the Treatment of Sex Addiction and Compulsivity. Until the lockdown, I founded and ran a clinic in Marylebone.
Three books have been written about compulsive sexual behaviour:
CBT for Compulsive Sexual Behaviour: A Guide for Professionals 
Overcoming Sex Addiction: A Self Help Guide 
International Handbook of Sex Addiction 
These were all published by Routledge. Co-editor of the International Handbook.
I have a contract with Routledge for another book, the working title is Sex, Religion and Shame. The manuscript is due at the end of December 2022.
Prior to my work in psychotherapy, I was in parish ministry.
BA Sociology/Anthropology – University of New Orleans
Pg Dip Theology – University of Nottingham
Pg Dip CBT – University of East London
MSc Psychosexual Therapy – London South Bank University
DPsych – Middlesex University and the Metanoia Institute
Expert Witness – University of Central Lancaster
COSRT Professional Associate
ATSAC Founder and Accredited
How to access our trainings?
1. Once you have booked a place for one of our trainings, you will receive a email confirming your order.
2. At least 24hrs prior to the start of training, you will receive an email containing the required details to enter the training. All trainings are held over Zoom.
3. If you are wanting to attend the training live, you then use these details to attend just before the specific start time.
4. However, if you are unable to attend the training live, a link to a recording of it will be emailed to you following the event. The recording is made available for 90 days after the live broadcast.
This means that it is not essential for the attendant to be present for the live training and one can refer back to the training if they wish within 90 days.
5. Within a week of the training, the training materials, including slides and notes, CPD certificate and feedback will be sent to you via Email.